Sunday, November 11, 2012

From My Own Closet: Mixing and Matching (Or is it Mismatching?) Prints



Top: LOFT Outlet with alterations*
Skirt: LOFT Outlet with alterations*
Shoes: Steinmart

 This is the second time I've worn this outfit, and I'll be honest, I really like it. I bought both the skirt and the top from the same store at the same time, and the colors of the stripes in the top pop up in the dots on the skirt. The colors of the season, I guess. I'm sure the store merchandisers did not at all intend for the two items to be worn together- and neither did I when I bought them. But I hadn't done laundry in a while, and had to work with what was left. Necessity is the mother of invention right? I think it works because the stripes as well as the dots are both small-scale prints, and the colors are repeated on the top and the bottom. But when I was going outside to take pictures, my mom said, "Going to take pictures of your mismatched clothes?"

So, dear fashionable readers, what do you think? Hit or miss? If it doesn't work, is there anything I could do to, any accessories I could add or change, to fix that?

*To make it a little bit more modest, I added the solid colored panel at the bottom of the skirt (So easy to do- and I think really adds to the character of the skirt anyway) and gathered the armholes with elastic thread to prevent them from gaping.

Jen at Modern Modest Beauty is doing a giveaway at the moment for a $50 Mikarose gift card. Why don't you go ahead and pay a visit to her beautiful blog and enter as well?



10 comments:

  1. I think you did very well mixing patterns, I have a hard with that-the "fashion police" aka "rule makers" in my head tell me not to, I'm chicken! :)
    I think you nailed it though, it always important to at least keep the colors similair so it doesn't look crazy.
    I hope you don't mind, I've quoted (and linked) to your blog-I loved what you said in your profile about the reason for blogging!
    Natasha
    A Modest Fashion Blog:
    www.natashaatkerson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your thoughts, Natasha. I used to find it very hard to experiment with my style; the fashion police come around here too. But it's so exciting to realize that you can decide for yourself what aesthetic is pleasing to you and not just follow the crowd!

      As for linking, I don't mind at all :)

      Delete
  2. I like it! I think it totally works, and the colors are very pretty. I LOVE the asymmetric ruffles on your top. Super cute. :D
    http://embracingchristianmodesty.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, it's all in the colors. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. I love miss matched prints! So fun! I found you via the Modern Modest Beauty linkup! Just wanted to let you know that I'm doing a Heylee B. Boutique Giveaway! I thought you might be interested.

    xoxo
    A-

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your blog Emily - I really like it! You have a great eye for design and color coordination :) I love your desire to strive for modesty!

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just visited your blog LOL I didn't realize it was you! Thanks for taking a minute to visit!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your sweet comment Kim :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it works Emily!!! I'm a chicken for print mixing. I applaud you for giving it a shot and for succeeding! I love the ruffles on you top, so cute! It reminds me of summer! (Oh how I miss thee!) I love your blog. Following along now! And thanks for the sweet comment on my blog today! :)

    Come visit Lily Among Thorns and link-up your outfit! I'm hosting a sunday style link-up fiesta!
    Blessings!

    Rubi
    lilyamongthornsblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete