Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Chambray Shirt : Part III



For the Chambray Shirt Mini-Series I challenged myself to come up with two new outfits of my own, one for a day at work and one for a day off. I also asked you, my readers, to show me how you wear chambray, and Vicki did, so you'll be able see how chambray works for her style as well as mine.

So here I am looking business casual in chambray, a knit blazer, and a pencil skirt.


Chambray Shirt, Knit Blazer, and Silver Tooth Necklace: LOFT Outlet
Pencil Skirt: Made by me
Shoes: Target


My shirt isn't true chambray; rather it's a lightweight cotton that only looks like chambray on the surface. I like the nondescript patch pockets, the mandarin collar (since I never know quite what to do with a shirt collar when I wear it with a blazer or jacket), and the roomy boyfriend cut that blouses nicely when tucked into my skirt.

Now here's one way Vicki wears her chambray shirt while still being true to her own style. She writes a modest fashion blog called Decked Out in Ruffles, which pretty well describes her charming, feminine look.


Here's what she told me about this outfit: "I think this is the first time I wore this shirt, and I layered it over a short dress/tunic and leggings and I had a cute and comfy outfit."


I like her attention to detail- folding back the edges of the shirt to expose the intricate pattern on the tunic, rolling up the cuffs to allow for a bracelet, and belting the shirt at her high waist to accentuate her figure.


She wrote a full blog post on this outfit before, and you can see it here.


Trying to loosen up for look number two! The roll-tab sleeves are one more plus for me; they are cute and comfortable in the summer, but I can still roll them down for less bulk and wear a long-sleeved blazer over them.


Chambray is a neutral color that goes with anything, but I especially respond to outfits that incorporate bright, warm hues like reds, pinks, and yellows.


Chambray shirt, tiered skirt, and necklace: LOFT Outlet
Shoes: Target

I just can't get enough of this shirt. You might have seen me wear this shirt before on the blog here with fur and a wooden necklace and here with lace and pearls.

I'm going to finish off the week with an illusion pocket flap that I made to wear when I want to add a little zazzle to this shirt, and maybe a few dream chambray outfits I put together on Polyvore.

Now, as promised, the theme for next week is yellow! The color of sunshine pops up every summer, but I'm seeing more of it this season in every intensity. You might think it doesn't look good on you, and you know what- it doesn't usually look that good on me either, but everyone can add a little dose of yellow in their accessories. If you have already found a way to wear this happy color and would like to be featured on the blog, go on and send your images to fashionedanddesigned (at) gmail (dot) com. Be sure to leave me your name and a link to your own page so that I can properly credit you!

2 comments:

  1. I love how you styled your top! The first look is my favorite--it's very much like something I would wear! Chambray is great because it's so versatile...it goes with practically everything! after reading your post featuring chambray, I'm inspired to start finding new ways to wear my chambray tops.

    Thanks for featuring my outfit, by the by!(:

    ~Vicki
    Decked Out in Ruffles

    ReplyDelete